Custom-made Night Guards Can Improve Your Long-term Dental Health
If you chronically clench your jaw and grind your teeth while you sleep, you may benefit from a customized night guard at our Hartford, CT, practice. We offer several types of oral appliances to help patients who suffer from bruxism. Depending on your needs, you may receive a small NTI-tss Plus™ appliance or a full-arch night guard. These devices can prevent tooth erosion and other common side effects of teeth grinding. In many cases, your night guard can even reduce the risk of serious structural damage that could eventually destroy your smile.
Will You Benefit from a Dental Night Guard?
If you suffer from bruxism, or chronic grinding and clenching, you will likely benefit from an oral mouth guard. However, because grinding and clenching primarily takes place at night, you may not be aware of these unintentional actions. It is important to know the symptoms of bruxism and to seek appropriate treatment when you notice the signs, before you experience worn or cracked teeth that require restorative procedures such as dental crowns. Symptoms of these conditions can include:
- Jaw pain or tension
- Chronic headaches, especially in the morning
- Ear pain
- Tension in the shoulders and upper back
- Damage to teeth
- Sores on your tongue or the insides of your cheeks
How Do Bruxism Night Guards Work?
When you come in for bruxism treatment, we will evaluate your symptoms to determine the right option for you. We offer two types of night guards:
- Full-arch guards: This kind of appliance will fit over an entire dental arch, and it will keep your teeth from coming into contact. This appliance can be especially beneficial if you tend to grind your molars.
- NTI-tss Plus™appliance: NTI-tss stands for Nociceptive Trigeminal Inhibition tension suppression system. An NTI-tss Plus™appliance is much smaller than a full-arch guard and will only fit over your front teeth. This guard is designed to retrain your jaw muscles and prevent clenching in the first place. If you have headaches or jaw pain, our dentists will often recommend this type of night guard. To qualify for an NTI-tss Plus™ appliance, you should have healthy bite alignment.
Bruxism can put tremendous pressure on your teeth and lead to significant wear and breakage. A night guard can prevent enamel erosion, cracked teeth, and related dental damage.
After determining the most suitable type of night guard for you, we will take impressions of your teeth. Our lab will use these molds to create your appliance, so it should be very comfortable. You will typically adjust to it after just a few nights and can wear it for years to come.
The Importance of Treating Bruxism
Our night guards can have tremendous benefits for your immediate comfort and long-term oral health. Soon after you begin wearing the device, you may notice a significant improvement in your chronic pain, and you may wake up feeling more rested than you have felt in years. Bruxism can put tremendous pressure on your teeth and lead to significant wear and breakage to teeth. A night guard can prevent enamel erosion, cracked teeth, and related dental damage. If you receive an NTI-tss Plus™ appliance, it may also reduce your risk for TMJ disorders by lessening the strain on your jaw joints.
Receive Relief Today
Are you are suffering from the symptoms of bruxism? Contact our office and find out how a night guard can benefit you.