Porcelain Veneers Benefits and Risks
Porcelain veneers provide incredible benefits for patients who wish to enhance their smiles. Dr. Steven M. Balloch is a skilled, award-winning cosmetic dentist who provides customized veneers that look natural and provide a stunning complement to your overall appearance. Porcelain veneers can quickly and effectively correct most aesthetic dental issues. Dr. Balloch works with accomplished dental ceramicists to make custom, high-quality porcelain veneers that can give you the smile you desire. To learn more about porcelain veneers benefits, or to schedule a consultation, contact our Hartford office today.
With a combination of crowns and veneers, Dr. Balloch created a whiter, uniform color, resulting in a very natural looking smile. As for the sedation, it takes the five-to-six-hour visit and makes it feel like an hour nap. It is absolutely the way to go!
About Porcelain Veneers
Veneers are thin porcelain shells that cover the front surfaces of your teeth to conceal imperfections. To place porcelain veneers, Dr. Balloch will first meet with you to discuss your goals and expectations. He will then shape your teeth to prepare them for the veneers, removing a very small amount of enamel. Next, he will take an impression of your teeth to send to our partner lab, where technicians will use this information to create a unique set of porcelain veneers that complements the shade and shape of your teeth. If you want to lighten the color of your teeth, Dr. Balloch recommends undergoing teeth whitening before placing veneers so that all of your teeth are the same bright color. Once your permanent veneers are ready, Dr. Balloch will attach them to your teeth with special bonding cement.
Benefits of Veneers
Since they cover the visible portion of the tooth, porcelain veneers can instantly address a variety of cosmetic concerns:
- Small fractures and chips. The porcelain completely covers the surface of the tooth, making these imperfections invisible.
- Discoloration or staining. Porcelain veneers are often a solution for patients with intrinsic dental staining that does not respond to whitening treatments.
- Inconsistent shaping. Each veneer is designed to provide an aesthetic complement to surrounding teeth.
- Slight misalignment. If your teeth are misaligned, but not to a degree that would require Invisalign® or traditional orthodontic treatment, veneers can create a more uniform appearance.
Porcelain veneers are a minimally invasive and safe cosmetic procedure. However, if the dentist is not skilled in veneer placement, the risk of certain complications can increase:
- Tooth sensitivity can result from improper or excessive enamel removal during shaping and preparation or from improperly performed cementation protocols. In more severe cases, shaping could damage the second layer of your tooth, the dentin, which could cause discomfort and require restorative treatment.
- Jaw pain. If your dentist fails to ensure that your veneers maintain the natural function of your bite, you could experience malocclusion, which can result in headaches, joint and muscle pain, and other painful symptoms.
- The need for revisional procedures. If your porcelain veneers treatment fails to meet your expectations, you may require costly revisions.
The best way to minimize the risks of a porcelain veneers treatment is to choose an outstanding dentist. Dr. Balloch has more than 30 years of cosmetic dentistry experience and has trained with some of the top cosmetic dentists in the world. He works with award-winning dental technicians and is a respected member of the American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry, so you can feel confident in his excellent care.
Experience a Gorgeous Smile
Achieving a beautiful smile and boosting your confidence is easy with Dr. Balloch's artistic excellence in performing porcelain veneers. Contact our office today to learn more about this procedure, or to schedule a consultation with Dr. Balloch. Visit our smile gallery featuring our beautiful porcelain veneers work.
Smile Gallery: Patient ResultsView More Patient Photos <
Recent Blog Posts